Greyfriars Churchyard Perth

Greyfriars Churchyard graveyard is on land formerly occupied by the Perth Franciscan friary, founded around 1460. The friary was destroyed during the Reformation in 1559 and in 1580 the site became the new burial ground. The gravestones and other memorials record the changing lives and hopes of Perth people over the centuries that followed and the collection of 18th-century stones here is of great importance. On many of these, winged souls rise up to heaven, while skulls, crossed bones and hourglasses remind readers of their mortality.


SH101921.JPG

SH101922.JPG

SH101923.JPG

SH101924.JPG

SH101925.JPG

SH101926.JPG

SH101927.JPG

SH101928.JPG

SH101929.JPG

SH101930.JPG

SH101931.JPG

SH101932.JPG

SH101933.JPG

SH101934.JPG

SH101935.JPG

SH101936.JPG

SH101937.JPG

SH101938.JPG

SH101940.JPG

SH101941.JPG

SH101942.JPG

SH101943.JPG

SH101944.JPG

SH101945.JPG

SH101946.JPG

SH101948.JPG

SH101949.JPG

SH101950.JPG

SH101951.JPG

SH101952.JPG

SH101953.JPG

SH101954.JPG

SH101955.JPG

SH101956.JPG

SH101957.JPG

Return to Taypearls Home Page